This is a question we receive many times a week from customers. They call and state they need a cleaning and a stretch because it is piling up and has created waves, like the picture above. The cause can be a few factors as listed below;
1. Heavy items have been continuously moved across the floor pulling on the carpet.
2. The design of the room makes proper stretching at installment very difficult and not as strong as if you had four walls to stretch too, as shown above.
3. They just don't make the backing of carpets a latex material as thick and strong as they use to. Years ago, most backings of carpets were much thicker and thus when laid out they didn't stretch out and expand. Today, to keep cost down to the consumer some of your more construction grade carpets are very thin. This thin level of backing is the cause.
4. Flooring is the last dollars spent during a new home construction and many of times, the new home receives the lowest carpet and pad.
5. Padding weight is important too. The pad for carpets are graded by weight, the heavier the weight, the better the pad.
Can this be corrected? Yes, we have a carpet layer restretch the carpets thus eliminating the issue. We can clean either before or after a stretch is completed. You will find that if you do stretch your carpets, you will get more years of life out of them just as important as a good cleaning once a year will add years on to the life of your carpets.
If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact me anytime. Until next time, Rugman Out!